Although the first day of Fall is September 23rd, Labor Day is the unofficial celebration of the end of summer for many Americans and start of the school year. Officially, Labor Day is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of American workers. It constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity and well-being of our country. It honors the greatest worker in the world – the American worker! This date is often celebrated with parades, picnics, barbecues, fireworks and other gatherings. It’s the perfect time to enlist classic American fare.
Messina’s All American Favorites with a Twist
Whether you are bringing people together at your office for a picnic or friends and family for a barbeque, all American fare is the focus for Labor Day. As a caterer, we love the focus on fresh, seasonal American favorites with a twist. Sure, you can always do hot dogs and hamburgers, but why not have a little more fun?
- Kababs – It’s tough to cut up your food while trying to mix and mingle at a party. Enter skewers! Just about any food can be served on a skewer, but for purposes of protein, we love kabobs. Include chicken or beef, and fresh vegetables with a tangy glaze. One of our favorites is our “Tabasco” pepper jelly glazed chicken skewers.
- Prosciutto Melon Bites – Take appetizers up a notch with juicy summertime watermelon wrapped in prosciutto and mozzarella speared with fresh rosemary that creates a perfect bite size marriage of sweet and savory. This makes for a colorful and elegant passed appetizer!
- Mini BBQ Pulled Pork Biscuit Sliders – The south is home to so much in the way of comfort food. Take freshly smoked pulled pork and nestle it in between a fluffy biscuit.
- Bruschetta of Cherry Tomato & Mini Buffalo Mozzarella – the bright red cherry tomatoes make for a great pop of red, while the taste combination is spectacular!
- Hand Pies – nothing says America like apple, cherry or blueberry pie! But both can be a bit hard to heat standing. Enter hand pies.
- Red, White & Blue Shortcake Parfait – fresh bright blueberries and strawberries can be layered with sponge cake and topped with fresh whipped create to make for a beautiful themed dessert!
The Bar for Labor Day
Don’t forget the bar! Yes, traditional beer, wine and liquor is a must. But supplement with some creative themed cocktails and some summertime favorites. Think red, white and blue cocktails. And it’s hot out, quench guests’ thirst with colorful boozy slushies. Serving items can also help add to the theme. Consider creating a watermelon cocktail served inside a hollowed-out watermelon with a tap on the bottom! And utilize colorful bucks to serve iced beer from. And don’t leave the kiddos out, treat them with root beer floats and summer mocktails.
Don’t let the summertime heat hamper your event! Extra care just needs to be taken in the event planning stages to choose the right menu, the right venue and the right layout. Care also has to be taken to monitor food safety in the heat. Check out our article on tips for planning successful summertime outdoor events for specifics.
Event Catering Companies
Labor Day means family, friends, fun, celebration and best of all great summertime food! Whether you’re having a kid-friendly block party, a barbecue with neighbors or an elegant backyard affair at home, the focus should be on relaxation and time. With the start of the school year, summer vacations and other commitments, sometimes catering and event planning may be more than you can fit on your to do list. A great way to take advantage of the season, and enjoy time with friends and family is to have your Labor Day party catered! Regardless of the size, your event can be hosted at an event space or even in your own backyard by a qualified and experienced caterer!
Messina’s Catering and Events would love to host your next in-home party! We have the experience and equipment at the ready to keep outdoor food fresh, beautiful and safe. We have been catering some of the most prominent outdoor events in the New Orleans area including the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival and the Creole Tomato Festival. Messina’s was just selected by New Orleans CityBusiness readers as Best Caterer for the 3rd year in a row. This year, we are celebrating 58 years of providing full-service catering in New Orleans